- Apple Pies
Who: Sue Hagan – Apple Pie Coordinator
Who: Volunteer Meal Coordinator Bernadette Hartman email@example.com
When: October 28th, 2018-November 3rd, 2018 and Feb. 4th, 2018- Feb. 9th.
Where: Clairvaux Hall
The History of Saint Bernard Apple Pies
Over 30 years ago a group of parishioners got together every spring in a Mt. Lebanon basement to bake 100 apple pies. The pies were sold by the slice at the Pie Booth during the May Mart Festival. In the following years, the apple pies became more popular and baking moved to Bryson Center. In 1996, Susan Hagan took charge of the efforts to bake apple pies to raise funds to support the students and school at St. Bernard’s. Today, through the efforts of many of our senior parishioners and school parents, we are able to bake about 1,500 apple pies each fall and during the Lenten season. This tradition has become one of the largest fundraisers here at St. Bernard’s, and is truly an inspiring event to be involved with. For many of the workers it is a time of sharing stories of the past, working side by side with old and new faces and passing on an age old craft.
- Donate: Each year volunteers make as many apple pies as possible to sell around Thanksgiving time and for Easter. In exchange for their time, we supply breakfast and lunch and clean the aprons. Each grade donates a meal for one day. You can donate by providing a breakfast or dessert item or contributing toward the main dish. One person from the grade will wash aprons. Sign up here http://www.signupgenius.com/go/60b0849aaa82aa13-apple3
- Donate: Donations for sugar, flour, and Crisco
- "Parent Day" is on the Saturday of Apple Pie week from 8:00am - noon. PLEASE COME AND HELP US! We need 30-40 people to help roll crusts, peel apples, cut apples, mix apples, etc. Come join parishioners and other parents – bring friends and family. Additionally, service hours will be awarded to high school/college students who need them. This is a kid friendly event for older children.
- During Apple Pie week, we need 30-40 people to help roll crusts, peel apples, cut apples, mix apples, etc. All are welcome to join!
- Purchase a pie: Check the e-envelope for an STB Apple Pie order form, please complete and send it to the school office.